Reading Challenge Book Reviews January 31, 2010-February 6, 2010

>> Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
100+, Library, Color, 451

Ahhh, it took 2 weeks to finish, but I have finally completed The Scarlet Letter. I have actually been wanting to read it for years, but it's always been put at the bottom of the list. The 451 Challenge was the real impetus for me to finally read it! Although I found the language to be difficult for me to read, I did manage to finish. The first several chapters seemed to be mini-biographies of key characters, although the timeline of the story continued to progress throughout these chapters. At times I found this aggravating, although it definitely gave me a deeper understanding of those people. The later chapters were more well rounded. Though the writer still tended to concentrate on only two characters at a time in a chapter. It is a very peculiar style. By the time you reach the point of revealing the identity of the second culprit behind the crime leading to the existence of the Scarlet Letter, I really was NOT surprised. The ENDING took me a bit by surprise. But I still thought it a good ending. Overall, I am glad I finally read The Scarlet Letter, although I don't know how soon I'll re-read it!! :)

Now Reading: 1984 by George Orwell-100+, Library, 451

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP