So much to update on

>> Tuesday, July 7, 2009

And so little time to type LOL. Well, not really, I have several hours, but I will not be able to convey all of it without making a 20 page post LOL.

Okay, so we had a good weekend. We went to church Sabbath morning. It was a baptism. A young adult who was very excited to be baptized, and then the pastor did an altar call for others who'd like to be baptized. Several people went to the front, including one gentleman who is considered a leader in our church. He was re-baptized immediately. It was inspiring. I have been wanting to be baptized, but every time the opportunity has presented itself to either speak to the pastor or bible worker, or an altar call has occurred, I have found myself either unable or not ready to take that last step. And this Sabbath was no different. I know the right time will present itself. When the time is right I will be calm and able to stand up and take the steps needed.

Later BFF's DH fired up the grill and we had delicious chicken, corn on the cob (cut off the cob for me), grilled squash with garlic, and watermelon. It was DELICIOUS. I enjoyed it very much.

We then packed up and headed out to a nearby school for a fireworks display. We were very lucky to get about 10 feet from the barrier. I was excited to be so close, but had concerns about the girls being afraid. Especially Bug, she is like her momma and is afraid of thunder. But we told the girls before it started that it would be like their favorite book "Chicka Chicka BOOM BOOM" And she handled it pretty well at that point! LOL

SO that was our 4th of July, it was an overall great day.

On the work front...

Oh me Oh my... I have had some "interesting" customers the past week.

At some point this past week I was informed that I was now a "Customer Service Champion" and I am responsible for making sure that the customers are receiving appropriate service. Among other things we are implementing the process of asking the customer if they found everything okay or something similar to that. In many ways this question is a formality. We have associates all over the store that would be happy to help if the customer asks. But still, it's a nice touch to double check. In my first shift of asking this I had three separate customers who all stated they had NOT found everything, and with mine and my fellow associates assistance we were able to help them. So I'd personally say it was an effective policy. Furthermore, several of the customers have THANKED me for asking, saying how nice it is that I asked. All except this ONE customer. I asked the question and she says "Did you come from Trader Joes???" And of course I respond no, since I've never worked for TJ's. She launches into this huge speech/lecture about how useless it is to ask that question, that if she'd gotten to the checkout obviously she HAD found everything, cuz how could you NOT know where to look etc. She just went ON AND ON about it. At first I was ready to just brush it off. She might have been having a bad day. But when she kept going and was beginning to say that I was an idiot for asking, well, I got angry. I behaved, and in a restrained, and fairly calm manner, informed her that in fact this question was not a waste of time, useless, or make me an idiot. That in one days time, and my shift was only 5 hours, I had assisted 3 separate customers to find something they couldn't. She backed down at that point but OH was I mad.

The next day, I was FINALLY given the paperwork to do that will get me a 50 cent raise for being a cashier. YAY for raises. This will put my hourly rate at $8.75/hour.

The same day as my paperwork arrived, our general manager came through my checkout line. I totally didn't recognize him though. I'm used to seeing him from a distance. So I gave him the same exact customer service that I give everyone. I truly pride myself on giving everyone good service, because I believe it will come back to me, and I should treat others as I wish to be treated. Well, it was EXACTLY the right thing to do to my general manager!!!!! He got so elated that I was giving him the "customer" treatment and DOING what they want us to. He looked for a green card, kinda a recognition card that you can save up and trade in for $$, but he had none. He said he'd get me one though. Within 5 minutes the manager between my department manager and the GM came over and complimented me on pleasing our GM that way! :)

But best of all, yesterday, my dept. manager brought me 2 green cards. One she said was from our GM, the other was from her for earning one from the GM and therefore making the whole dept look good LOL. A little later she came over and told me that next week I'm going to start training on Service Desk!!!!!! :D :D :D :D This is a TOTAL promotion, and a total shock!!! I guess the GM told her to make it happen. I've worked there roughly 2 1/2 months! I will get another raise!!! I don't know how much, probably 25-50 cents, but still, that's a nice raise!!! :) :) And I'll be able to work more hours now too cuz I'll have another area I can work in.

Yes, I'm excited! LOL We celebrated last night with a chocolate molten and some Starbucks Caramel Macchiato ice cream. I almost celebrated after my Job A shift this morning by treating myself to some new jeans. BUT... BFF convinced me this weekend not to spend the money since I'll probably "undergrow" them (lose weight) in a month or so, and I am really trying to watch my money to be able to spend it on nicer purchases.

I read a blog this morning at Organizing Your Way on being more minimalist. The guest writer said one of the biggest things was being the type of minimalist THEY wanted to be, not an ideal that someone else set down for them. They don't want to give away all their possessions and live on a commune or only own 100 items. It really spoke to me. I think that in the months to come I need to really pare down my "possessions" and keep the stuff the truly matters to me. And stop buying STUFF just to have more STUFF. I do NOT need to keep up with the Joneses. In a small way I've already done some of this. I have given away or thrown away when appropriate quite a bit when I moved from Tennessee to Massachusetts. Now I need to do it again.

I am using the library more (SO much more economically and environmentally friendly anyway) and I only buy books I truly feel a need to own. I have had to buy quite a bit of clothing in the last couple months for 2 reasons, first off, for work. My previous wardrobe worked great for staying in the house most of the time. But not for work. And what I did have that was appropriate for work was winter clothing, and I started working in April. I should be good to go come fall and winter, and will just pick up a few key pieces here and there and as clothes wear out or I "undergrow" them. Which is the 2nd key reason I have bought clothing. I NEEDED smaller pants. My size 16's were falling off me. In that same cut of pants I needed a 14, in a different cut I was able to move into a 12. The 12's are already getting to that point where just a little while after I put them on I am pulling them up constantly. BUT... I do not yet fit the next size down. So I have to lose more weight before they'll fit. That's okay though. I am blessed to be able to give the clothes I undergrow to BFF who is undergrowing her way into my clothes!! I'm so happy for her!!!! :)

I notice that some of my shirts from before are really wearing out, and some that I just do NOT wear. I have some I will NEVER get rid of for sentimental value. Shirts from my time in the Army for example. But I have a tough time with shirts. I have to find shirts long enough to cover my midriff, or use a tank under them to do the job, and I need some sort of sleeve for Job A. I am also that pain in the a$$ who refuses to pay full price. With a couple exceptions: jeans (I watch for sales, but, I will not WAIT for sales!!! LOL), socks (yeah, find a sale for that!!), undergarments (like jeans), tank tops (from a certain big box store, they are the ones that fit me best, are long enough, and only cost me $4 to begin with!), and shoes (again, like jeans). I am blessed to get a GENEROUS discount at Job A, meaning I am NOT paying full price, and yet I STILL frequently wait for a sale.

ANYWAY... my point to this is that I want to get to a point where I can spend the money on NICER things that I truly need and want. Like buying a new bed for myself when we move. I don't have one right now, and even if I did there'd be no room for it here. I sleep on BFF's comfy couch most of the time. But, when we get ready to move, I want to go to IKEA and buy my bed frame (cuz they have an IKEA here and I don't know if they will wherever we end up). And then the mattress for my frame. The mattress will be pricey, but if I stop buying just to have the newest things, just because I can, then the money will be there. It's going to be a change for me, but I know I can handle it!!!

I'm still pushing to eat better and be more environmentally friendly.

I am starting my Wilton Cake Decorating classes tomorrow, I'm very eager for that!! And I paid for my sister to fly up here in 2 weeks to visit. She's been sounding really down lately, and I know she'd like to see the girls. Plus, she's been wanting to meet BFF. So, BFF and I went on a hunt for a good ticket. We hit the jackpot with a flight for under $180!!

Well, I'm going to go rest for a bit before work tonight! That's my "short" update. LOL

See ya all soon!!

1 comments:

Anonymous July 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

I was going to send you a comment just yesterday asking if you'd given up on blogging. I'm sorry about the jerkface who felt it necessary to tell you that you were an idiot for trying to help her, but some people just seem to view life differently than the rest of the world. CONGRATULATIONS on your raises, potential promotion, and money cards! Don't you love it when you hit the jackpot like that?! I'm also proud of you for your healthier, greener lifestyle. That's quite a difficult change to make...I'm trying to do it myself. I've gained 30lbs the past 6 months and this eating healthy/counting calories thing is difficult! But it'll be worth it for the results. Good luck with your Cake Decorating class! I'm sure it'll be a blast. I'd LOVE to do something like that. Thanks for the update! It's always great to hear what's going on with you!!!

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP