Last night's cake and needing a miracle.

>> Thursday, July 30, 2009



So there it is, last night's EXTREMELY disappointing cake. I know I know. I've been told already I did a GOOD job, stop being so hard on myself, etc. But, I am NOT happy with it. I will be redoing it soon. I have to or I won't be happy. I had so many problems with it though.

-girls ate one layer
-icing firmed up too much and we had to thin it out to ice with.
-I had to stay up WAY too late the night before
-we never could get the icing as smooth as we like.

BFF and I are both perfectionists. But we finally decided it was "good enough." I had made up all of my icing for roses in 4 different colors, and it was the PERFECT consistency. I know it cuz I PRACTICED with it!!!! I did up the icing for vines and leaves too. I packed it all up and got ready for everything.

Somehow that perfect consistency icing turned ROCK HARD by class. Which is really odd with tall the humidity. Normally humidity will cause frosting to thin out, NOT to get stiffer. But it was IMPOSSIBLE to work with. So I spent much of my class trying to adjust the consistency of my icing to even be ABLE to use it. I was putting incredibly high amounts of water into my icing. Even our teacher was amazed at how much water I was putting in. And I don't blame her. It was a TON.

I finally managed to pull off three sorta roses, several decent leaves and some vines. the picture above is the result.

This morning we got up CRAZY early to take my sister to the airport to head home. BFF's DH's car has been acting up lately, he said the tranny has been slipping. Well, it died this morning. He made it to work, but the transmission fluid is all UNDER his car. And we are moving next week, and BFF is supposed to start school at the end of next month. She says she's not going to go to school now. She has financial aid, except for books. She needs $400 for books. I told her I will NOT let her quit because of books. NOT HAPPENING. I think I know how to help her. But I know a few people who won't like it.

I think I'm going to skip my California trip. I was already debating it for SEVERAL reasons, but I think that the biggest one is that it would be a better use of my money to pay for her books then fly to California for a week. She'd give me the money if positions were reversed, and she's been SO excited about this. I am NOT letting her give it up.

I don't know how to help on her DH's car, other than learning how to repair a transmission, so I guess I best start learning. I have done other things on a car before. LOL But seriously, we need a miracle, with the moving expenses, his car repairs, and her books, we NEED a miracle.

7 comments:

hes-all-i-want July 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

the cake - you will always be your harshest critic. people who cannot decorate cakes will always be thrilled that you can. i have witnessed this dozens of times with my mom. close your eyes, take a deep breath ...

the other - you are a dear, true friend. yes she would and she has.

you know that you have to have faith. He always gives what we need and it all always happens for a reason. you have been through worse and emerged as wonderful role model for your daughters (instead of a horrid example of what not to do).

keep your chin up and your faith strong. i will keep all of you in my prayers.

Drea July 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

When it rains it pours let me tell ya. Tell ~B & ~D I'm thinking of them. That's really nice of you to cancel your CA trip to help her with her books. I know it will be something she really appreciates and the gester (is that with a g or j?) won't be forgotten.

As for the cake, sometimes you just have to call the icing a loss no matter what you do with it, and start all over again. It's a pain & honestly working with whipped cream icing is an even BIGGER pain sometimes. My mom always loved to use the whipped cream over buttercream but you have to keep it so dang cold which is hard to do when you're doing a star tipped sheet cake. Your hands warm up the icing in the bag and all goes to waste. Urgh I still hate that stuff. :)

I know others have told you this but I have to say it too. Though you see the imperfections, for what you delt with, be proud of the work you did. It looks good. Yes the roses are a bit off (I couldn't ever do those ones) and dry looking but this is what class is for, to perfect things not to be perfect! I just don't think this cake was meant to be! LOL

Hugs!

Anonymous July 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

i am not letting you skip the Cali trip to pay for my books and you know exactly why. Your mother would never let me hear the end of it.

Nique July 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

I am NOT letting you quit school over the books. My mother will get over it and she's coming out for Christmas anyway. IT"S NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION!

Kris July 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Most textbooks are usually placed on hold by the professors in the school library for students that can't afford books. Check that out before paying for texts. Also, many texts are available for half price online. You get online access to .pdf files of the text, and print out the chapters you need yourself. I did this for a few of my classes last semester. It was super easy. It's also sometimes possible to share texts with friends in different sections of the class with the same professor.

Another alternative is to simply ask the professor if they have a copy they can loan you for a semester. Often, text companies will send out advance preview copies to the professors, and they have extras for the asking. Sometimes they end up in the library, but more often, they're forgotten on a shelf in the prof's office. Just explain the situation, and let them know that you're a military family.

Hope that helps.

Nique July 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

Kris, I have passed these suggestions onto Anonymous... I mean BFF. :P One of the problems with the library suggestion is that the school is more on YOUR side of the country and we are on THIS side of the country LOL. But some of those ideas could still work for her and I hope she looks into them before giving up. :)

Drea August 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

I'll see if I can find that website that sells textbooks at a reduction of the cost. Ya'll may even want to look into used books on Amazon & B&N. I found a few of mine there when I went to Community College - however these online schools sometimes use obsecure books.

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP