sick baby update 3

>> Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sunday Morning: Bug woke with another HIGH fever (104.5) and I was at my wits end. I was thinking shouldn't the antibiotics at least be helping to bring the temp down by now?? So down the hatch with MORE motrin, her antibiotics, and her regular daily meds. And into the tub to try to cool her off. And when she finally got some attitude back she and I were sticking tongues out at each other. It was then that I noticed a small sore on the tip of her tongue. I called BFF and showed her. She reminded me that Bug had said the other day that her tongue got "stuck" in her sippy cup.

Shortly after Bug got outta the tub I got a call, from her pediatrician!!! She wanted me to bring Bug in, on a SUNDAY MORNING. We made the arrangements to be there in a little over an hour. We live about 45 minutes from the office, I wasn't dressed yet, and the roads were questionable from the overnight snow. But we got there and saw her. She tells me it is NOT a UTI as diagnosed at Children's. I kinda suspected it wasn't. Nothing grew in the culture. So we could throw out the antibiotics more than likely. She asks all the questions about cough etc. while she's looking her over and I tell her the ONLY thing is I noticed that sore.

She looks in her mouth and nods and says "along with the several small sores on the back of her throat, it makes sense, she has hand foot and mouth" SIGH OF RELIEF. My poor baby is miserable, but I have an answer that makes sense FINALLY. We talked over the 2 biggest issues for Bug with this illness:

-Fever control: She is running HIGH fevers. Fevers are not uncommon with HFM, but high fevers are not so common. Bug has epilepsy which makes the high fevers more dangerous. Her doctor advised us to do piggy backed tylenol/motrin every 3 hours for at least 24 hours straight ROUND THE CLOCK to keep her fever free and give her body a break. Then to let her body have a chance. Last night was the night I got to sleep and I'm about to go wake her and see how she is. Please let's hope she's fever free!!! Or at least low grade. I NEED to get her off the meds because they can hurt her liver as can one of her regular meds and the combo of the two worries me.

-Hydration: The sores in her mouth and throat make her not want to eat and drink. Obviously that is not good. We saw this yesterday. I had to break down and FORCE gatorade down her with a medicine syringe. She was actually pretty good about letting me do it that way!! This tells me the sores IN her mouth are hurting more than the sores in her throat. BFF and her DH said she did better in the evening, and I am grateful for that.

Today is a new day, and I am hoping she is feeling better today. We have appointments for Duck and Peanut to have their eyes looked at again and see if their glasses are helping with the lazy eyes. I'm praying for Peanut especially that it is because if not we are looking at surgery. :(

Stay safe all my friends in the coming weather and I hope you have fun in the snow!!!

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP