Score one for the team-Update

>> Monday, December 28, 2009

This is an update to this post: Score one for the team.

In this post I had expressed concern over Bug's speech and potential hearing loss. The audiologist that tested Bug really did feel her speech was fine and she just tired out toward the end. Although I felt she was right, and that the repeat test this coming April would show that, I was still VERY concerned by her seemingly garbled speech. I was hesitant to follow the suggestion of obtaining speech therapy through the school district. I want to homeschool my children and I don't want them to ever be involved in the public school systems.

I made the decision to wait at least until the first of the new year to consider obtaining services. I felt we were too busy, with the holidays, numerous appointments for both Bug and Peanut, and visitors coming in, to try and start ANOTHER thing, plus I wanted to try to work on her speech myself and avoid the school district if I could. YES, I am stubborn. I was giving myself THREE MONTHS. But, Bug's pediatrician actually was backing me on all of this, she said to me, "Mom, YOU need a break, it's okay, there will be time for her speech to improve, three months isn't going to make or break it. But YOU look like YOU are about to break." Have I mentioned how much I love her?

Well, in those three months we have started her on medication for her epilepsy and seen DRAMATIC improvement. In her seizures, and her SPEECH. She is having very few seizures now (in fact I don't think I've seen her have one except when she was sick and running a high fever). And she is now speaking as well as ANY of the other three three year olds in the house. Her neurologist called back when she got really sick with the hand foot and mouth, (before she really got sick) and when I told him how improved her speech was, he told me he wasn't overly surprised, but VERY pleased to hear it. He felt her epilepsy was giving her some developmental delays that the medication improved and allowed her to overcome. Given that most of the time we can now understand her, I agree! :)

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP