I HATE being sick, eating healthy

>> Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Oh yes I hate being sick. I managed to go over a week without getting this pleasant little bug, but now it's in me. Saturday morning I woke up feeling AWFUL. BFF heard me hacking and left me to sleep an extra couple of hours. Once I was awake enough we headed off to Whole Foods to get me the medicine I prefer for colds. Unfortunately, they did NOT have it!! I wanted to cry there in the store. But the extremely helpful clerk came over and helped me find an alternative. My only concern was that it was a cherry flavored liquid. However, it turned out to have a nice NATURAL cherry flavor.

I dragged through work on Sunday and yesterday. Yesterday, at Job A, we finished up our primary job by 8:45 am (shift starts at 5:45 and we usually finish at 10:45). I asked my supervisor if we finished early could I go home, since I wasn't feeling well. They let me go which I REALLY appreciate. I was able to come home and rest for several hours before my shift at Job B.

While at Job B I missed a call from Job A. I listened to the voicemail on break. One of my supervisors was calling to tell me that since today's shipment was going to be small, that she was giving me the day off, since she knew I wasn't feeling well. I really appreciate that she's looking out for my health (and everyone else's!!) BUT... I wasn't scheduled to work today!!!! LOL She "gave me" a day off I already had off! Knowing I had today off was what kept me going yesterday!

We are looking forward to a good day today. I'm feeling MUCH better. The weather is supposed to be beautiful. We are getting all the kids fed and dressed and then we are going to head out for some shopping and then some time at the park.

We also have some housework to accomplish, especially catching up with the laundry. My parents arrive Saturday and we'd like the house to be ready for "staying here" company. It's a little different when someone is staying here than just visiting for a couple hours LOL

Lastly, I am working on my health. I had quite a realization recently about HOW unhealthy I am. I am 5'8", weighing in this morning at 202.2 pounds. Yes, we can all agree this is considered overweight. By medical definition, I am JUST under the BMI for being obese. HOWEVER, I wear a size 12 jean! It's all about how the weight is distributed! A friend of mine is about 3 inches shorter, 20 pounds heavier, and 5 years older. We recently used one of those blood pressure machines in a pharmacy. My blood pressure and pulse were noticeably higher (although still within normal limits, just barely) than hers. BY ALL RIGHTS... I should have the lower numbers. For my height my weight is closer to ideal than hers, and I'm younger. Yet her overall health picture is BETTER.

I recently began reading Jillian Micheals book "Master Your Metabolism." Jillian is one of the trainers from The Biggest Loser. Her book is very encouraging and really hits home to me so far. She discusses that for many of us, our hormones are so messed up from what we eat, even the foods we THINK will help us, that we are CAUSING ourselves to gain weight. She encourages a fully organic diet. Well, I can't go totally organic, but I am starting to remove as many of the bad things from my diet as I can. I'm starting mostly with 2 things. Aspartame (aka Nutra Sweet) and High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).

Aspartame is the sweetener in MANY fat free and no sugar foods. It is a CHEMICAL. My gut has long told me that chemicals in my food are bad. But I have discovered that some people with migraine problems have aspartame as a trigger. I'm reading my ingredient labels now to make sure it's not there. I'm going to try to steer clear of Splenda as well, since I question the chemical process that takes sugar and makes it calorie free. As for the HFCS... it messes with your insulin levels. It can help cause insulin resistance which is a VERY BAD THING. HOW did these two come to be my newest pet peeves???

YOGURT. Yes, one little food, yogurt. I've LONG loved "Brand A" Fat Free Yogurt. I didn't get the fat free version BECAUSE it was fat free, but because I liked the taste and texture better. Well, I offered some to BFF who is also a migraine sufferer, and she said no and pointed out the aspartame. GREAT... So I've probably been helping cause those knarly headaches. LOVELY. So the next day at work, I grabbed the Brand A original container and read the ingredients. One of the very first ingredients (I believe is was the 2nd in fact) is HFCS! Oh My Word!!! Well, since I DID have gestational diabetes, and my mother has type II diabetes, I want to stay away from a CHEMICAL that is going to increase my likelihood of having diabetes (again). So I decided to look at other brands. I opted to look at the organic ones. One of which is a store brand so I'd get a discount on it. Sure enough, no aspartame, no HFCS. So I bought it. After discount it costs me 85 cents for one container. Not too bad, Brand A when on sale is 60 cents a container. And it tasted better!!!! So I will be buying organic yogurt from now on!

My next target is to remove as much hydrogenated oils from my diet as possible. I'm a realist. Removing these things 100% is next to impossible for me. Eating 100% organic is next to impossible due to cost and availability, but, I can make a start, and I can reduce and remove these things as much as possible.

2 comments:

A.Marie May 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Hello! I finally got into your blog. I had the worst time...I kept getting some funky error screen. Anyway, here I am. Great post on healthy eating. In college, I had a friend who had a yogurt maker, and she'd make fresh, homemade yogurt every few days or so. How I wish she lived near me so I could borrow her nifty gadget! She'd add a little honey or jam to her yogurt...yumyum!! I applaud your efforts to avoid chemicals in your diet. I know what you mean about aspartame. My sister has really bad headaches, and her favorite drink is Crystal Light. Guess what the sweetner is? Yep,you guessed it...aspartame. So, I need to remind her to maybe switch to another beverage!!

I'll stop by again soon! :)

Nique May 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

MMMMM... I would LOVE to try some fresh, homemade yogurt! I'm blessed to live with BFF, she truly believes in making as much food herself as possible. So I am in heaven!!

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP