Hand Baskets

>> Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Okay, I have discovered one of my newest pet peeves as a grocery store cashier. Hand Basket behavior.

Okay, you know those little hand baskets you can grab at the store entrance? I have a couple of peeves about them, more so the behavior our guests have with regard to them.

1. I really dislike when a guest puts a basket of groceries on my belt and DOES NOT EMPTY THE BASKET. The basket drop off is at the BEGINNING of the belt, not in my cashier box!! It bugs me when a person just plops their basket down, even worse when they get impatient with me for taking the time to empty the basket FIRST and I ask them to take the basket to the drop off. I do NOT have room for the basket in my box!!!! I'm not being mean, I just have no space!

2. I dislike the customers who have stuff falling out of their baskets and do NOT want us to get a carriage for them, until they try to pick up all the bags, THEN they ask for a carriage.

3. I dislike when customers do not put the handles in the position that allows the baskets to nest. It makes a mess out of the baskets. It's not really that hard.

Okay, so I had a LOT of basket issues today. LOL

Thanks for letting me vent!

And please help me meet my fundraising goal for the AIDS Walk Los Angeles 2009!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

You know, It's equally frustrating on both ends of this situation though. Like the other day I was at the shoppette and I set my basket on the counter. (No conveyor belt.) She stopped and said "take everything out". First of all, there was only about 5 items in there, and second of all, it would've taken her the same amount of time to reach into the basket and scan the item as it would for her to reach down onto the counter and scan the item. On top of that, the customers behind me had to wait for the items to be moved TWICE: Once when I emptied the basket, and once when she picked it up to scan it. It just seems sort of counter-productive. I suppose it just depends on the person and the day.

Sonja June 23, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Nique, I will never look at a basket the same way! Sadly, I am one of those people who just set the basket on the belt ... but at our store, they take the baskets away and put them by the front door. :)
OH, btw, there's something for you on my blog. ;)

Nique June 24, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

Amanda, that is just rude of the cashier to make other customers wait AND tell you to empty the basket. I just do it myself. It just bugs me. ESPECIALLY when the customer waited while I was ringing an order. So they had the time to do it, but didn't. And I'm not talking about a women with 2 kids hanging off her, or the elderly. I'm talking about 100% able bodied people without distractions! *sigh*

But seriously, how rude of your cashier to tell you to empty it.

Sonja, I just think most people don't think about it. And most cashiers will never say anything because they don't want to upset the customer. Our baggers take the baskets back to the front when the stacks get too high or there's a break in the "action."

Oh, and thanks for the award! :) I'll add it to my blog soon :) Hope I can find 5 deserving mom's!! LOL

Unknown June 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

I leave the basket on the belt, but usually only when there are none of those separator thingies left. That way my groceries don't get mixed up with the person's in front of me. Why on Earth would anyone have a problem taking a basket to the basket return??

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP