Day 7 of 90: A society of instant gratification

>> Sunday, February 5, 2012




Exodus 32:1

1 When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods[a] who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.”

He took too long, in their opinion. They didn't want to wait, it would require patience, and they wanted instant results. They wanted it now, not in a few hours, days, weeks, months, or even years. NOW. Why should they have to wait???

Oh, I meant Moses and the Israelites. Though the description does seem to model what our current society has become. I'm guilty of it too. When I decide I want something it IS hard to wait. I am trying to teach myself to be more patient. I want a new car, it can wait. It'd be nice to have a new car NOW. My car is almost 8 years old. But ya know what, it's in fairly good condition right now. It needs a couple minor repairs, and given that it's paid off, there are days when I WANT to just trade it in and have something new and shiny. But I do not NEED it. I really enjoy NOT having a car payment, and I NEED to save up and have a down payment, it will keep my monthly payment lower.

The "instant gratification society" is NOT new, it's been around for a VERY long time. We are simply repeating history.


0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP